1. Peng, S., J. Huang, J.E. Sheehy, R.C. Laza, R.M. Visperas, X. Zhong, G.S. Centeno, G.S. Khush(*), and K.G. Cassman(*). 2004. Rice yields decline with higher night temperature from global warming. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences (USA) 101(27):9971-9975.
2. Peng, S.(*), R.J. Buresh, J. Huang, J. Yang, Y. Zou, X. Zhong, G. Wang, and F. Zhang. 2006. Strategies for overcoming low agronomic nitrogen use efficiency in irrigated rice systems in China. Field Crops Research 96:37-47.
3. Peng, S.(*), B.A.M. Bouman, R.M. Visperas, A.R. Castañeda, L. Nie, and H.-K. Park. 2006. Comparison between aerobic and flooded rice in the tropics: agronomic performance in an eight-season experiment. Field Crops Research 96:252-259.
4. Peng, S.(*), G.S. Khush, P. Virk, Q. Tang, and Y. Zou. 2008. Progress in ideotype breeding to increase rice yield potential. Field Crops Research 108:32-38.
5. Peng, S.(*), Q. Tang, and Y. Zou. 2009. Current status and challenges of rice production in China. Plant Production Science 12(1):3-8.
6. Peng, S.(*), R.J. Buresh, J. Huang, X. Zhong, Y. Zou, J. Yang, G. Wang, Y. Liu, R. Hu, Q. Tang, K. Cui, F. Zhang, and A. Dobermann. 2010. A decade of research on improving nitrogen fertilization in rice through site-specific nitrogen management in China. Agronomy for Sustainable Development 30:649-656.
7. Peng, S.(*), J. Huang, K.G. Cassman, R.C. Laza, R.M. Visperas, and G.S. Khush. 2010. The importance of maintenance breeding: A case study of the first miracle rice variety-IR8. Field Crops Research 119:342-347.
8. Yao, F., J. Huang, K. Cui, L. Nie, J. Xiang, X. Liu, W. Wu, M. Chen, and Peng, S(*). 2012. Agronomic performance of high-yielding rice variety grown under alternate wetting and drying irrigation. Field Crops Research 126:16-22.
9. Wu, W., J. Huang, K. Cui, L. Nie, Q. Wang, F. Yang, F. Shah, F. Yao, and Peng, S(*). 2012. Sheath blight reduces stem breaking resistance and increases lodging susceptibility of rice plants. Field Crops Research 128:101-108.
10. Wang, Q., J. Huang, F. He, K. Cui, J. Zeng, L. Nie, and Peng, S(*). 2012. Head rice yield of “super” hybrid rice Liangyoupeijiu grown under different nitrogen rates. Field Crops Research 134:71-79.
11. Wang, K., H. Zhou, B. Wang, Z. Jian, F. Wang, J. Huang, L. Nie, K. Cui, and Peng, S(*). 2013. Quantification of border effect on grain yield measurement of hybrid rice. Field Crops Research 141:47-54.
12. Chen, C., J. Huang, L. Zhu, F. Shah, L. Nie, K Cui, and Peng, S(*). 2013. Varietal difference in the response of rice chalkiness to temperature during ripening phase across different sowing dates. Field Crops Research 151:85-91.
13. Yuan, S., Y. Li, and Peng, S(*). 2015. Leaf lateral asymmetry in morphological and physiological traits of rice plant. PLoS One 10 (6): e0129832. doi: 10.1371/journal. pone.0129832.
14. Wang, D., M.R.C. Laza, K.G. Cassman, J. Huang, L. Nie, X. Ling, G.S. Centeno, K. Cui, F. Wang, Y. Li, and Peng, S(*). 2016. Temperature explains the yield difference of double-season rice between tropical and subtropical environments. Field Crops Research 198:303-311.
15. Wang, D., J. Huang, L. Nie, F. Wang, X. Ling, K. Cui, Y. Li, and Peng, S(*). 2017. Integrated crop management practices for maximizing grain yield of double-season rice crop. Scientific Reports 7, DOI: 10.1038/srep38982
16. Yuan, S. and Peng, S(*). 2017. Exploring the trends in nitrogen input and nitrogen use efficiency for agricultural sustainability. Sustainability 9, DOI: 10.3390/su9101905.
17. Yuan, S. and Peng, S(*). 2017. Input-output energy analysis of rice production in different crop management practices in central China. Energy 141:1124-1132.
18. Peng, S(*). 2017. Booming research on rice physiology and management in China: A bibliometric analysis based on three major agronomic journals. Journal of Integrative Agriculture 16:2726-2735.
19. Xiong, D., X. Ling, J. Huang, and Peng, S(*). 2017. Meta-analysis and dose-response analysis of high temperature effects on rice yield and quality. Environmental and Experimental Botany 141:1-9.
20. Yuan, S., L. Nie, F. Wang, J. Huang, and Peng, S(*). 2017. Agronomic performance of inbred and hybrid rice cultivars under simplified and reduced-input practices. Field Crops Research 210:129-135.
21. Yuan, S., and Peng, S(*). 2017. Trends in the economic return on energy use and energy use efficiency in China’s crop production. Renewable & Sustainable Energy Reviews 70: 836-844.
22. Zhou, Y., X. Li, J. Cao, Y. Li, J. Huang, and Peng, S(*). 2018. High nitrogen input reduces yield loss from low temperature during the seedling stage in early-season rice. Field Crops Research 228:68-75.
23. Xu, L., X. Zhan, T. Yu, L. Nie, J. Huang, K. Cui, F. Wang, Y. Li, and Peng, S(*). 2018. Yield performance of direct-seeded, double-season rice using varieties with short growth durations in central China. Field Crops Research 227:49-55.
24. Wang, Y., C. Zheng, S. Xiao, Y. Sun, J. Huang, and Peng, S(*). 2019. Agronomic responses of ratoon rice to nitrogen management in central China. Field Crops Research 241, DOI: 10.1016/j.fcr.2019.107569.
25. Yuan, S., K.G. Cassman, J. Huang, Peng, S(*), and P. Grassini. 2019. Can ratoon cropping improve resource use efficiencies and profitability of rice in central China? Field Crops Research 234:66-72.
26. Deng, N., P. Grassini, H. Yang, J. Huang, K.G. Cassman, and Peng, S(*). 2019. Closing yield gaps for rice self-sufficiency in China. Nature Communications 10, DOI: 10.1038/s41467-019-09447-9.
* Corresponding author